how to avoid electrical fires in your home
To minimise the risk of an electrical fire:
Make sure the electrical appliance has a British or European safety mark when you buy it.
Always follow instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully.
Check and unplug…
Regularly check your electrical appliances for signs of damage, loose wiring and overheating.
Switch off and unplug all electrical appliances not designed to be left on when not in use.
If you have an electric blanket, make sure you get it serviced regularly and check for danger signs such as frayed fabrics, a worn flex and scorch marks. Unplug it when you go to bed, unless you are completely sure that it is the type that can be left on overnight.
Be careful to not overload sockets. Overloaded sockets can be a fire hazard. It is important to remember that appliances use different amounts of power so consider what you are plugging in and the limit of your extension socket.
Many people use extension leads and adaptors to increase the number of appliances they can plug into a socket. However, it may not always be safe to do so. Use the Electrical Safety First socket overload calculator to check if you are exceeding the maximum load and putting your home at risk of fire.
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership Limited registered as a charitable Community Benefit Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 with registered number: 7748. Data Protection registration number: ZA345449
Registered Office: Westgate Park, Charlton Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1SQ