Damp, Condensation and Mould - Lincolnshire Housing Partnership

Damp, Condensation and Mould

Damp in your property can be caused by more than a failed damp proof course. Other factors that can cause mould to appear include leaking pipes, roof leaks or condensation.

As your landlord we have responsibility to assess any damp and mould that is found in our homes and to agree with each customer the action that needs to be taken to resolve the problems. We’ve also put some tips together to help you with damp, condensation and mould below.

But we need your help.

We want to know of any homes that have damp, mould or condensation that we don’t know about.  If you have any concern about your home, please call us today.  We have specialist staff waiting to talk with you about your concerns, to work with you to agree the solution and then get it done.

To help identify damp, mould and condensation in your home, please take time to look at the pictures and videos below and reference these when you contact us.

Condensation Damp

Condensation occurs when moisture held in warm air (high humidity) comes in to contact with a cold surface. This condenses and produces water droplets. You may see this on your windows or walls, especially in kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms.

Things that can cause condensation are:

  • Lack of ventilation – if fans and trickle vents aren’t working or not used this can increase humidity.
  • Inadequate insulation in lofts or walls that can cause cold spots
  • Inadequate heating – undersized boilers and radiators or heating not being used

This is what condensation can look like in your home.

Rising Damp

Moisture from the ground can rise through the structure of your home, causing rising damp. This is usually caused by a building defect such as a breakdown of a damp proof course or floor membrane.

Signs to look out for are:

  • A ‘tide mark’ on perimeters of the walls where the damp proof course has failed
  • Wet patches on walls
  • Flaking or bubbling plaster
  • Rotting skirting boards

This is what rising damp can look like:

Penetrating Damp (including internal leaks)

When water penetrates the external structure of your home or where internal leaks are causing damp, rot and damage, is known as penetrating damp.

This can be caused by:

  • Defective structure of the building allowing water ingress
  • Defective roof coverings and external rendering
  • Blocked gutters and drainpipes
  • Internal floods caused by burst pipes

This is what penetrating damp can look like:



Mould is a natural compound that develops in damp conditions and will only grown on wet or damp surfaces. If moisture accumulates mould growth will often occur on indoor surfaces. Many types of mould exist, and they all have the potential to cause health problems in people who are sensitive or allergic to mould spores.

This is what mould can look like in your home:

Health effects of mould exposure include:

  • Blocked or runny nose
  • Irritation of eyes and skin
  • For people with asthma, inhaling mould spores could trigger an attack

It is important to note that most people with not experience any health problems from coming in to contact with mould.

Energy Crisis

We recognise that the current financial climate is difficult for some of our customers, especially in relation to energy costs. We have a trained and dedicated Money Support Team who can advise on all aspects of customers personal finances, including benefits, grants and schemes.

You can learn more about our Money Support Team here.


Contact Us

If you have any concerns about damp, mould and condensation in your home, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 0345 604 1472 (between 8.30am and 5.30pm Monday-Friday) or email our team.

Call us about damp (between 8.30am-5.30pm Monday-Friday)   Email us about damp 

It is very important to strike a balance between warmth and ventilation. By opening windows (in association with the other tips to reduce moisture) it may appear that you are losing heat, but what you are actually doing is allowing warm moisture-laden air to escape and permitting cool dry air to enter your home. Dry cool air is actually cheaper to heat than warm moist air! So this actually saves you money, as well as resulting in a healthier living environment.