Cooking safely Help to reduce the risk of fire in your home

It’s important not to get distracted when cooking. It only takes a moment for a hot pan or grill to catch fire.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service have put together the following advice and good habits for a safer kitchen:

  • Stand by your pan. Do not leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room.
  • Never leave a child unattended when cooking.
  • When you have finished cooking, make sure your oven is turned off.
  • The safest way to deep fry is to use a thermostat – controlled electric deep fat fryer. The thermostat stops it from overheating.
  • Do not cook when tired or if you have had alcohol. Have a takeaway or cold snack instead.

Good habits to reduce the risk of fire in your home

  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean. A build-up of fat and grease can easily catch fire.
  • Never use water on a hot oil or chip pan fire.
  • Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen roll.
  • Keep your microwave clean and do not put metal in it.
  • Keep electrical leads, tea towels and clothes away from the cooker.
  • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not in use.

If a pan catches fire, do not take risks – Get out, stay out and telephone 999.

 

 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
default
high
Font size Text size
down
default
up