Gas appliances which are not working properly can cause explosions and also give off poisonous carbon monoxide fumes.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood do not burn fully. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly or cause serious injury with no warning. Symptoms include feeling tired and/or unwell, having headaches, chest pains and/or dizziness.
Danger signs of carbon monoxide on or around gas appliances can include:
The build-up of carbon monoxide can be a result of:
If you have a carbon monoxide detector which alerts you to the presence of this gas or you believe that you may be suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning you should:
- turn off the heating appliance immediately
- open your doors and windows
- vacate the premises
- telephone gas supplier Cadent on 0800 111 999
- seek medical advice
After Cadent have attended your property and you have received medical advice, including a blood test, we will then arrange for a heating engineer to attend your property to investigate further.
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership Limited registered as a charitable Community Benefit Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 with registered number: 7748. Data Protection registration number: ZA345449 Registered Office: Westgate Park, Charlton Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1SQ