Posted 21 May 2023
World Bee Day
Today is #WorldBeeDay, a day to celebrate the amazing things Bees do for us and the planet.
Why are Bees so important?
- They help produce 1/3 of our food! In fact, due to the severe decrease in Bee populations in the UK, every year we import over 90,000 boxes of Bees to help pollinate our fruit crops.
- Bees support our ecosystem, pollinating our trees and wildflowers that support insects, birds and mammals
Why do Bees need our help?
- We have lost 97% of our wildflower meadows since 1940
- Bees don’t often travel more than 500m away from their nest. As we take away nectar-rich flowers, they struggle to find nearby food sources to survive
What are LHP doing?
- We have committed to introduce 5 new biodiversity sites each year
- We have seeked advice from charities such as the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and BugLife to understand how we can have a greater impact.
What can you do?
- Head over to the BumbleeBee Conservation Trust’s website to submit a pledge to “Bee the Change”: Homepage – Bee The Change | Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- Explore the ways you can support Bees in your own garden and local community: Read our handy gardening guide – Bee The Change | Bumblebee Conservation Trust