Posted 6 February 2024
Safer Internet Day
In the ever-evolving digital landscape, our commitment to fostering a secure online environment is key. As we mark Safer Internet Day, it is a perfect opportunity for us to reinforce our dedication to the well-being of our employees and the integrity of our digital presence.
What is Safer Internet Day?
Safer Internet Day is the UK’s biggest celebration of online safety – This year is focusing on change online including:
- Younger people’s perspective on new and emerging technology
- Using the internet to make change for the better
- The changes young people want to see online.
- The things that can influence and change the way young people think, feel and act online and offline.
What can you do to create a safer online world?
- Inspire change by demonstrating to those around you how to use online tools safely.
- Make a difference by having regular discussions about the online world; this can include the “algorithms” that social medias use, online scams, and much more.
- Know where to go for support:
- Most social media sites will have report and block buttons, perhaps a “report harmful content”. Using these tools appropriately allows for better content moderation within the apps you or people you care about are using.
- Manage influence by using different sources:
- When you are browsing the internet, make sure you check a range of sources, such as different websites, videos, and apps. This will help give you a balanced view and help you to recognise different people’s opinions. If we compare different people’s views, we can learn more and form our own ideas.
For more information, visit https://saferinternet.org.uk/ for more information on what you can do to spread the word about being safe on the internet.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss data protection and what LHP can do for you.