Damp and Condensation
Damp in your property can be caused by more than a failed damp proof course. Other factors that can cause mold include leaking pipes, roof leaks, condensation and lifestyle issues.
Condensation is one of the main causes. The good news is you can keep condensation to a minimum, reducing the risk of damp and mold growth.
- Produce less moisture:
- cover pans
- do not leave kettles boiling
- avoid using paraffin and portable flue less bottled-gas heaters
- dry clothes outdoors
- vent your tumble dryer to the outside
- Ventilate your home:
- keep a small window ajar or a trickle ventilator open especially when you’re cooking. Always be aware of safety and security and remember to close your windows when you are leaving home.
- close kitchen and bathroom doors when you are using them
- open doors to ventilate cupboards and wardrobes
- leave space between the backs of wardrobes and the wall
- Heat your home a little bit more if you can by:
- draughtproofing windows and external doors
- keeping low background heating on all day, with background ventilation
- finding out about benefits, rebates, grants and help with fuel bills