Supermarkets are highly competitive and use lots of clever marketing and regularly change store layouts to tempt us in to spending more than we want to. But with a bit of commitment and savvy shopping you can save £1,000s a year.
Ten tips to help fund Christmas:
- Set a budget of how much you can afford and stick to it
- Agree a maximum spend for presents for family and friends
- Start buying presents and non-perishable items early to help spread the cost
- Shop around to find the cheapest Christmas toys. Last year, Which? magazine revealed Amazon had the best prices on a basket of 20 branded toys including Barbie, Lego, Nerf and Peppa Pig
- Choose click and collect to save money on hefty delivery charges
- Instead of ‘turkey and all the trimmings’ enjoy a traditional Sunday roast with a luxury dessert
- Keep your eyes peeled for discounts and deals and sign up to the Money Saving Expert’s weekly email for the best bargains and vouchers
- Use free-to-use cashback sites, such as Quidco and Topcashback, which offer deals at more than 4,000 retailers
- Buy second-hand items in good condition for a discounted price. Check out sites such as Preloved and Gumtree, as well as places like Facebook Marketplace
- Remember that spending time with loved ones and looking out for one another is what really matters at Christmas. And this gift doesn’t cost you a penny!
Many customers think that as your landlord, we automatically insure your furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage, such as burst pipes. But this isn’t the case – we insure the buildings you live in but not the contents inside them.
If you look around the room, think about how much it would cost to replace your belongings if they were damaged or destroyed – it soon adds up!
If you are thinking of cancelling your insurance cover as a way to save money you do have other options.
We’ve teamed up with RSA Insurance Group plc to offer the Simple household contents insurance scheme exclusively to you as a LHP tenant and leaseholder. For further details visit our Insuring your Home page or contact us on 0345 604 1472.